Equipment used by the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway

The following is a list of equipment the KSRY has used in the past for maintenance of way purposes and in its former excursion program. Some of the equipment was owned by the railroad and the rest was owned by various employees of the railroad. Most of the items are no longer on the property.

CNW C1306 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairbanks-Morse

IC F9049 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: S2-T
ENGINE NUMBER: 112488
ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad

This car has a Fairmont RO-D engine. The car is equipped with a two speed rear end. It was originally used by the Illinois Central Railroad in the Brookhaven, Mississippi area.

IC F9156 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: M19
SERIES: H
GROUP: 1
SPECIAL: none
CAR SERIAL NUMBER: 265748
ENGINE NUMBER: 105302
WATER JACKET NUMBER: 112606
ENGINE TYPE: RO-C
ORIGINAL OWNER: Gulf Mobile & Ohio Railroad
This car was originally owned by the GM&O and became the property of Illinois Central Gulf railroad as part of the merger. The car was used in the Union, Mississippi area.

ICG F8287 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: S2
FLYWHEEL DATE: 9-14-51

ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Gulf Railroad

ICG F8478 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: S2

ICG F8919 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: M9
SERIES: G
CAR SERIAL NUMBER: 230527
ENGINE NUMBER: 87893
ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Gulf Railroad
This car was used in the Crystal Springs, Mississippi area.

ICG F8951 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: M9
SERIES: G
GROUP: 2
SPECIAL: none
CAR SERIAL NUMBER: 237890
ENGINE NUMBER: 109771
ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Gulf Railroad

The car has a Fairmont RO-C engine. This car was originally used in the Brookhaven, Mississippi area.

KSRY 503 - Locomotive

MANUFACTURER: General Electric
CLASS: B-B-90/90-2GE733
HORSEPOWER: 300
NUMBER: 15877
BUILT: October 1942
MODEL: 45 Ton
ENGINES: Cummins diesel HBI-600
TRACTION MOTORS: GE 733
GENERATORS: GE 1503 X1
SHIPPED: 10-27-1942

This engine was purchased January 21, 2000 and arrived at the railroad April 11, 2000. The engine was originally purchased by the United States government and numbered as USA Gulf Ordinance #503 for use at is Prairie, MS facility. It was renumbered to US Army #7327. It was later used by Conoco Oil Company. It also had markings from the U. S. Air Force. All the above are believed to have used the engine at the Prairie facility. The engine became the property of the City of Aberdeen, Mississippi when the city obtained the military base for use as an industrial park. The engine was delivered to the U S government as one of two engines. The sister engine (USA Gulf Ordinance #502, U S Army #7326) is known to have been in Ogden, Utah in March 1971 before being sold in 1973 to Cameron Iron Works in the Houston, Texas where it is still believed to be. While the engine had GM&O painted on one side when we acquired it, the locomotive was not owned by the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad. A railfan who lived near the engine while it was in Prairie painted the GM&O on the engine.

KSRY 3023 - Locomotive

 

MANUFACTURER: American Locomotive Company (ALCo)
MODEL: S2
SERIAL NUMBER: 76512
HORSEPOWER: 1000
BUILT: December 1948
ENGINE: MacIntosh & Seymore 539T
ENGINE NUMBER: 5163
TRACTION MOTORS: GE-731
GENERATOR: GE-5GT553
ORIGINAL ROAD NUMBER: DH 3023
TRACTIVE EFFORT: 58,000 lbs at 5.5 MPH
TONNAGE RATING: 5,780 tons at 9.5 MPH

This locomotive was purchased by KSRY on January 16, 2002. The locomotive originally belonged to the Delaware and Hudson Railroad and was numbered as their 3023. It is believed to have been used by Penn Central after their absorption of the D&H. It was purchased by Relco in March 1969 and renumbered to RE1008. It was used by Chevron in Baton Rouge, LA from 1971 to 1980. It was then sent to Minooka for a rebuild. According to the records, it was then renumbered to RE808. However for some reason the RE1008 number remained stenciled on the locomotive. After the rebuild it was sent to Bunge in Vicksburg, MS and was used there until 1998. The engine never left Vicksburg to go to the KSRY.

KSRY F4 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: M9
FLYWHEEL DATE: 7-25-56

ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad

KSRY F8526 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: S2
SERIES: H
GROUP: 1
SPECIAL: 5
CAR SERIAL NUMBER: 201959
ENGINE NUMBER: 90940
FLYWHEEL DATE: 12-27-51

ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad

KSRY F9176 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: A4
ENGINE MARKINGS: LSG42316001CF and 00039
ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad

This car was used by the Illinois Central Railroad between Jackson and Hattiesburg, Mississippi on the Gulf and Ship Island branch (Beaumont District). It was used by a bridge repair crew. The car was sold by Illinois Central around 1995.

 

KSRY R508 - Rail Rod

MAKE: Rail Rod
SERIAL NUMBER: 508
ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad

Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway R508 was formerly owned by the Illinois Central Railroad. The original motor had been removed prior to the K&SW obtaining the car. Rail Rods may be disassembled when not in use. They are normally used for short distances by inspectors or signal maintainers. These workmen would drive by truck to a nearby road crossing, assemble the Rail Rod, and travel down the railroad to a location inaccessible by truck to do minor work. A Rail Rod may carry two persons on seating similar to a bicycle. The Rail Rod is manufactured by Taber's Welding Company of Perry, Oklahoma. They weigh a little over 100 pounds. With the original engine and gearing they are capable of a top speed of 12 Miles Per Hour The operators right foot rest also operates a brake shoe on the left rear wheel.

KSRY X202 - Locomotive

MAKE: Plymouth Locomotive
SERIES: DDT - 10 ton
SERIAL NUMBER: 5798
BUILT: May 14, 1954

This small diesel locomotive arrived on the railroad December 29, 1999. It is equipped with both standard knuckle couplers and link & pin couplers. The engine is used for maintenance of way purposes. The engine was received from a private owner in Semmes, Alabama where it was used to pull two passenger cars created out of motorcar frames as an amusement ride. The engine was originally Jefferson Lake Sulphur #6 in Starks, Louisiana. The primary purpose of the engine on the railroad is motive power for the mower, as a power source for pneumatic tools for the maintenance of the railroad and is used to move pushcars of tools or equipment that is too heavy for motorcars to move.

KSRY T1 - Hi-Rail Truck

GMC hi-rail truck. The truck, in addition to being equipped with Fairmont 0307 Hy-Railę gear, has a storage body, strobe lights and crane. The truck was originally owned by the Union Pacific Railroad and was used in Illinois.

KSRY T2 - Hi-rail Truck

GMC hi-rail truck.

KSRY X993 - Fairmont Derrick

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: W64
SERIES: A
ORIGINAL OWNERS: Illinois Central Railroad, Mid-South Railroad, Kansas City Southern Railroad
The crane was used in the northeast Louisiana area. The original Waukesha motor installed by Fairmont was replaced with a Honda motor prior to the KSRY obtaining the car.

KSRY X994 - Push Car

MAKE: Fairmont

ORIGINAL OWNERS: Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad, Illinois Central Railroad, Mid-South Railroad, Kansas City Southern Railroad
This push car was made by Fairmont. Sometime during its life the original wooden deck was replaced with a metal deck. The car was last used by Kansas City Southern near Sebastopol, Mississippi. The Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway acquired the car from Kansas City Southern in February of 2000.

KSRY X995 - Push Car

MAKE: Fairmont

ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad
This car was originally made as a Fairmont pushcar. At some point in its life Illinois Central Railroad modified the car by adding a bench seat, steps, and handrails on each end and the center of the car. The car was last used by Illinois Central in Canton, Mississippi where it sat unused for almost ten years. It was acquired by the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railroad in the Spring of 1999 and a sun shade was added to the car.

KSRY X996 - Push Car

MAKE: Fairmont
KSRY X996 is a push car (commonly known as a trailer). It is pictured with KSRY X997 with a load of rail on the roundhouse lead in Kosciusko. This car was formerly owned by the Illinois Central Railroad.  It was sold to a private individual and changed hands several times before being purchased by the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway.

KSRY X997 - Push Car

MAKE: Fairmont
KSRY X997 is a push car (commonly known as a trailer). This car was formerly owned by the Illinois Central Railroad.  It was sold to a private individual and changed hands several times before being purchased by the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway.

KSRY X998 - Push Car

MAKE: Fairmont

ORIGINAL OWNER: Illinois Central Railroad
This car was made by Fairmont. Sometime during its life the original wooden deck was replaced with a metal deck. The car was last used by Illinois Central Railroad in Canton, Mississippi to remove most of the track in the yard. Upon completion of this task it was left on the side of the Highway 22 grade crossing. The Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway acquired the car from Illinois Central in the Spring of 1999.

KSRY X999 - Push Car

MAKE: Believed to be Fairmont

ORIGINAL OWNER: Believed to be Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad
Not a lot of information is known about this car. The frame is believed to be from a Fairmont motorcar or possibly a handcar. It was reported to have originally belonged to the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad and have been used in Yazoo County. The car is used as a tool car for the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway. The wooden bed has been replaced with another since the photograph was taken.

MKT 73 - Caboose

BUILT: October 1945
REBUILT: May 1981
CAR TYPE: Maintenance of Way, Caboose
PLATE CODE: B
EMPTY WEIGHT: 51,800 pounds
LOAD LIMIT: 168,200 pounds
INSIDE DIMENSIONS: 17'4" Long, 8'0" Wide, 7'6" High
OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS: 42'0" Long, 10'8" Wide, 14'4" High

This car originally belonged to the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. The car later became the property of Union Pacific Railroad prior to being purchased and moved to the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway. The car is of a style normally called a transfer caboose. The porch on one end has two bench seats. The interior has another bench seat that has been converted to a tool box. The heater was removed prior to Union Pacific selling the car. This car is believed to have been built from a boxcar that bore the reporting marks MKT 41100 and MKT 2613 as these marks are on the underframe of the car.

MP 13843 - Caboose

BUILT: August 1980
CAR TYPE: Short Bay Window Caboose
AAR TYPE: M930
PLATE CODE: B
WEIGHT: 51,900 pounds
INSIDE DIMENSIONS: 17'4" Long, 8'0" Wide, 7'6" High
OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS: 41'8" Long, 10'9" Wide, 14'4" High

This car originally belonged to the Missouri Pacific Railroad and was built by Missouri Pacific in their DeSoto, Missouri shops. The cars were outfitted in the MP caboose shops in Sedalia, Missouri. The cars served in mainline service on the MP. The car later became the property of Union Pacific Railroad prior to being purchased and moved to the Kosciusko & Southwestern Railway. The car is equipped with a diesel/kerosene fired heater, toilet, sink, storage cabinet, tables and chairs, and a 12 volt electrical system for interior and exterior lighting.

 

MP C2344 - Motorcar

MAKE: Fairmont
CLASS: M19
ENGINE NUMBER: 111047 (water jacket marked 112168)
FLYWHEEL DATE: 2-16-46
ORIGINAL OWNER: Missouri Pacific Railroad

This car has a Fairmont RO-C engine. The car was originally used in the Shreveport, Louisiana area and was sold by the Missouri Pacific to a private owner in 1973. The car is currently owned by Mississippi Rail Group, Inc.

MRCX 79437 - Caboose

BUILT: August 1971
CAR TYPE: Center cupola caboose
AAR TYPE: M930
PLATE CODE: B
WEIGHT: 60,090 pounds
INSIDE DIMENSIONS: 35' Long, 9' 9" Wide, 13' 6" High
OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS: 46' 6" Long, 10' 8" Wide, 15' 3" High

This car originally belonged to the Canadian National Railway. It arrived on the Kosciusko & Southwestern on December 5, 2001.

12-1-09